X-gal Staining Live Embryos

Randy Mottus mottus at bcu.ubc.ca
Tue May 16 14:10:49 EST 1995

We have the CyO balancer with LacZ driven by the hunchback promoter and I want
to do PCR on the non-balancer homozygotes which are lethal but will survive
until late embryo.  Thus I need a very reliable method for X-gal staining
which does not make the chromosomes unusable for PCR.  I'm told there is
a very simple method but I haven't been able to find it as yet.  Obviously
it must be reliable due to the contamination potential for PCR. Thanks it
advance for your help.

Randy Mottus