Solving the collapsing media problem.

Beth Gold bethgold at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Sat May 13 18:12:14 EST 1995

On 11 May 1995 bernhardt at bscr.uga.edu wrote:

> 	I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but fly media has a nonzero
> probability of not staying where it belongs at the bottom of a culture bottle.
> We use half pint milk bottles, and when I invert them, I run the risk of
> having the media come crashing down.  Sometimes this is a nuisance, sometimes
> it is a disaster which kills hordes of adults by trapping them in loose media.
> It is always a mess.  The probability of a collapse increases with media age
> and rough handling of bottles.
> 	It would be nice if we could raise flies on Jello, but since we can't
> has anyone out there come up with a solution to this problem?
> 	Thanks much.
> --
> Matt Bernhardt
> University of Georgia                Fools multiply folly.
> bernhardt at bscr.uga.edu

Matt--At best this is a temporary solution but I've used it with runny
media and media that is too dry and has pulled away from the edge.  I
usually shove a kim wipe (or two) along the side of the bottle and into
the media.  The wipe absorbs the water in runny media and expands
dry, pulled away media so it fits the bottle better.  Of course, I've done
this AFTER dumping the flies and seeing that the bottle has been slimed.
I never did find a way to resolve this problem before dumping flies--you
know when you look at the media slopping around like soup and you have a
bottle full of flies.  Playing with the recipe for your media should help
the problem.  When it's humid, the stuff tends to get soupy, so add less
water.  I don't know how much this helps, but there it is.

                         Beth Gold