Solving the collapsing media problem.

bernhardt at bscr.uga.edu bernhardt at bscr.uga.edu
Thu May 11 10:09:53 EST 1995

	I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but fly media has a nonzero
probability of not staying where it belongs at the bottom of a culture bottle.
We use half pint milk bottles, and when I invert them, I run the risk of
having the media come crashing down.  Sometimes this is a nuisance, sometimes
it is a disaster which kills hordes of adults by trapping them in loose media.
It is always a mess.  The probability of a collapse increases with media age
and rough handling of bottles.
	It would be nice if we could raise flies on Jello, but since we can't
has anyone out there come up with a solution to this problem?
	Thanks much.
--
Matt Bernhardt
University of Georgia                Fools multiply folly.
bernhardt at bscr.uga.edu