FlyBase Updates

Adelaide T C Carpenter Genetics atc12 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 10:24:51 EST 1995

rticle number 903 on bionet.drosophila updates the various FlyBase WWW
pages, and includes directions to access the lists of errors in Ashburner's
Grey Book and in Lindsley and Zimm;  these lists are of course important,
since they let us, the users, determine the cause when we discover a
discrepancy between one of these books and material on FlyBase (eg, to a
first approximation, if the item is noted as an error in the Grey Book list
it was Michael's fault;  if it is not, then it is probably FlyBase's fault).
This is all fine.  However, I would like to point out that the relative lengths
of those two lists is highly misleading:  every single letter in the Red Book
has been subjected to intense scrutiny and crosschecking, and every undotted
"i" and uncrossed "t" has been noted.  By comparison, Michael's book has been
barely glanced at.  Put into perspective, it is truly amazing that the Red Book
contains so FEW errors, as well as being scholarship of the highest quality:
THANK YOU, DAN AND GEORGIANNA!

Sincerely, Adelaide

PS:  has FlyBase considered making public its own compendium of errors?