(none)

Barry Ganetzky ganetzky at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Thu Jul 27 09:08:49 EST 1995

To all members of the Drosophila neurobiology community:

Dear colleagues,

        In  1991, with the approval of the Drosophila neurobiology
community, we established a lecture to the memory of Tom Elkins, a student
and colleague of ours who was killed tragically by a drunk driver.
Numerous members of the community  made generous financial contributions to
raise an endowment to fund this lecture.  Our aim is to award the honor of
presenting this lecture to a student who has conducted the most original
and significant research in Drosophila neurobiology during the previous two
years.  The expenses of attending the CSH Drosophila meeting to present the
lecture will be fully reimbursed.  Previous Elkins lecturers were William
Zagotta (1991) and Ilaria Rebay (1993).

        We solicit your help in identifying outstanding students as
candidates to present the third Elkins lecture at the upcoming Drosophila
neurobiology meeting, which will be held in October 1995.

        Graduate students working in any area of Drosophila neurobiology
are eligible.  Suitable candidates should be nominated by their thesis
advisor on the basis of work that was carried out or completed since the
last Cold Spring Harbor meeting in October 1993.  The nomination letter
outlining the qualifications of the candidate and the significance of the
research, a C. V. and copies of relevant reprints or manuscripts should be
mailed together to the address below by August 21, 1995.  We will notify
the recipient of the honor by the first week of September.

        Thank you for your help in ensuring that this lecture will be an
ongoing recognition of the  outstanding young members of our field as well
as a lasting memorial to Tom Elkins.

        To ensure as widespread distribution of this notice as possible,
please share it with your colleagues and post copies of it on relevant
departmental bulletin boards etc.

                Sincerely,

             Barry Ganetzky
             Corey Goodman