Dave Barry's Column of 7/8/95

Jeffrey Donald Plautz jdp3e at faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU
Wed Jul 12 19:10:50 EST 1995

In article <DBKCzq.3Lo at midway.uchicago.edu>,
Mark D. Garfinkel <mg16 at midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>In article <1995Jul11.173721.15818 at alw.nih.gov>,
>Eric L. Cabot <elmo at helix.nih.gov> wrote:
>>  Am I alone at being somewhat unhappy about Dave Barry's syndicated
>>column last Sunday in which he lambasts a developmental
>>study of Drosophila eye-formation and a biomechanical study of locomotion in
>>cockroaches?
>	Am I alone in not having read the piece?
>
>	Eric, with all due respect to copyrights, can you be convinced/cajoled/
>persuaded to provide us with the text in a post to the group?
>
>Mark

Just a word of warning to anyone who was thinking about posting
the article (although I would like to read it also)...

Dave Barry's weekly pieces used to be (until about a year ago,
at least at this site) available on the internet, as clari
syndicated articles.  However, these were apparently licensed
pieces, since someone, somewhere posted one of the pieces to a
non-clari newsgroup, making available to readers who
didn't/couldn't subscribe to the .clari group...some lawyer (I
don't know whose) got upset about this, and Barry's pieces were
removed from the net, never to appear again.

I may be over reacting, but in these nebulous days of internet
legalities, it seems that anyone posting a copyrighted piece
could be subject to legal trouble, especially since there has
already been 'trouble' with this author's writing.

Probably the best thing to do would be to go to the library and
check it out in person, unless someone would like to post the
article anyway (everyone promise not to tell!) and see what
happens.

Sorry to stray from fly talk, but the posts of today will
affect the freedom of the internet for years to come.

Take care,

Jeff Plautz