Need Anti-Fruit Fly Help

Eugen C. Buehler buehler at pop.pitt.edu
Tue Sep 27 15:41:59 EST 1994

    I've been asked before to help friends rid themselves of fruit flies.  I
thought myself quite the hero the first time I gave someone of trap of yeast
and fly food with paper funnel top.  A few days later, the friend came back
to me with an empty trap and a reduced impression of my Drosophila
knowledge.  What went wrong?  Well, my theory is that wildtype fruit flies
are too smart to fall for a normal trap, but the same trap will work in the
lab due to the excesive manipulation and inbreeding of lab stocks causing a
much dumber fly.
    So how does one catch brainy fruit flies?  I recomend an open can of
beer.  At home or in the lab, I never fail to get dozens of drowned flies in
my beer.  Mmmmmmm....
                                                Eugen Buehler