Infection in medium

FARMERJ at YVAX.BYU.EDU FARMERJ at YVAX.BYU.EDU
Thu Oct 27 11:38:52 EST 1994

The following recipe is from Posch, N.A., DIS 46:153 (1971).  I
have used it for many years and it has always been very effective
against bacterial infections.  I have used it successfully with
Berkeley medium (cornmeal-molasses-yeast-agar) and Carolina
instant.  Generally, I have used it for two successive
generations to completely eliminate infections.

I suggest that old bottle be autoclaved promptly as soon as they
are no longer needed and that stocks be rotated frequently.  Old
bottles, with dead and dying flies, seem to be fertile grounds
for bacterial infections.

These antibiotics do nothing to fungal infections.

final
concentration
in fly medium       antibiotics
100 units/ml        penicillin G
0.2 mg/ml           streptomycin sulfate

I buy the drugs from Sigma Chemical Company.

James Farmer
farmerj at yvax.byu.edu