infection in medium

gendjc at LUXOR.LATROBE.EDU.AU gendjc at LUXOR.LATROBE.EDU.AU
Thu Oct 27 02:08:30 EST 1994

Can anyone help? We've been getting more and more infections of our
fly medium. I don't know if they're two different types or not. One sees
the medium turn yellower-pale orange with a mucoid surface that flies
get stuck in. Another type seems to be where the medium gradually
turns from yellow-orange-amber-deep orangy brown. Tis is not associated
with the slimeys in fact the medium seems to dry out a bit. Anyway, it's
giving us hell and I think incidence is increasing. Our medium uses
agar, raw sugar, and yeast. In addition, one of us studies an infection in thflies which is killed by tetracycline so he must avoid using that in
the medium.
Any ideas?
david clancy, carla sgro.
La Trobe Uni. Melbourne Australia