Mite Infestation

A.J. DAVIS pab6awd at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Oct 7 11:37:01 EST 1994

In article <199410042340.QAA25986 at net.bio.net> kaufman at SUNFLOWER.BIO.INDIANA.EDU (T. Kaufman) writes:

>Andrew Davis posted this note on the board:

>> Most stock centers are infected and in any cases it's always best to assume
>>that they are.

>        I must take strong exception to this blanket statement.

{remainder snipped}

Sorry that you take strong exception - but i've found experience to be a
hard teacher.
However, I do think you should take careful note of what i said - it *isn't* a
blanket statement - i said *most* centers.  The two you mention may well be
clean (i can't say since we've never used them) but you cannot speak for all
the other centers or sources of stocks and therefore my statement remains
justifiable.  The best strategy to keep clear of mites is to assume that all
incoming stocks are infected.

You and Mark Garfinkel understand this strategy since you both endorse my
recommendation, one that is worth repeating, that rigorous quarentine of *all*
stocks *wherever* they come from, is the safest strategy.   In fact you both
recommend doing exactly what you criticise me for - i.e. assume all sources of
stocks are infected.

I've lost very many staff-years because of long term experiments becoming
contaminated with mites from supposedly 'clean' sources so i'm very insistent
on this strategy.

successful mite eradication everyone,   Andrew