Keeping lab Drosophila out of the lab cafeteria

Aubrey de Grey Genetics ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 18:14:17 EST 1994

Try convincing your building engineers to rig things so that your lab is
under negative pressure relative to the rest of the building.  This really
does work well despite flies being able to walk as well as fly.  I
appreciate that labs in England rarely have central air control so this
may not be practical in this instance --
     However, the reported degree of the problem strongly suggests to me
that it is not simply a case of loose flies but rather that the
cafeteria has somewhere in its depths a breeding population, which could
well have gotten founded by the odd stray lab fly.  I have actually known
this kind of thing to occur in laboratories, with the source traced to
the sandwich left three months ago in a drawer by a departing postdoc --
given how hard it sometimes is to keep stocks this seems incredible, but
they are adaptive little beasties.  Poke around, ask how often they take
out the garbage, look under the sinks and behind the refrigerators for
that very old orange --

Adelaide Carpenter