Keeping lab Drosophila out of the lab cafeteria

Bassem A Hassan bhassan at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Sat Nov 19 12:45:05 EST 1994

In article <d-horowicz-1711941239260001 at mac030004.ox.icnet.uk>,
David Ish-Horowicz <d-horowicz at icrf.icnet.uk> wrote:
>Our main labs in London are complaining that laboratory Drosophila have
>found their way to the cafeteria where they cluster around the fruit-juice
>dispensers from where they are dispensed into peoples' drinks, around
>fruit (surprise, surprise) and in the beer at the bar. Apparently, they
>are indeed laboratory flies, despite the fly labs' being about three
>floors away from the kitchens. The caterers are furious and want flies
>banned from the building. Have any other labs ever suffered from this
>problem and, if so, is there a solution (other than the obvious reply "so
>what")?

We are the only fly lab at the biotech center here at Ohio State. We used to
recieve constant complaints about flies in people's coffee mugs, culture plates
>and labs and offices!!  After many "tough luck" and "what do you want me to
do?" type conversations, my advisor bought every lab on the floor a fly swatter
>(sp?). Needless to say no one ever mentioned it again!!!!!

seriously, though, we simply set up fly traps (liquid yeast in fly vials with
narrow funnels to cover). I don't think it helped, it just convinced people
that there is nothing that will stop the flies! :-)
David Ish-Horowicz
>ICRF Developmental Biology Unit, Oxford
>d_horowicz at icrf.icnet.uk

bassem.