CO2 pads

Charlie Wright Genetics cw117 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat May 14 05:20:32 EST 1994

garfinkl at iitmax.iit.edu (Mark D. Garfinkel) writes:

>christen at CALVIN.JCI.TJU.EDU (Dr. Alan Christensen) writes:

>>In practice static electricity can be a problem.  Static charges seem to
>>get on the flies, the nitex mesh on the pads, and the plastic vials.
>>Occasionally, the vials will repel the flies, and they go all over.
>	Another solution to this problem is to humidify the CO2 gas by
>bubbling it through water. Use a sidearm flask: feed the CO2 into the
>flask using a glass tube through a hole in the stopper, attached by a
>short bit of rubber tubing to an aquarium air-stone submerged in the
>water. The CO2 then bubbles through the water, is humidified, and will
>displace air from the volume above the water. Humidified CO2 exits the
>flask & is directed to the CO2 pad using a flexible rubber tube attached
>to the sidearm.

As I posted earlier, we also make our own just like Alan suggests.  I
like the idea of suspended Nytex, as the pourous plastic we use does get
clogged and is more difficult to clean/change.  We also solve static with
a humidifying system, but we use a 10 litre stoppered bottle at the
source, and it works well as a humidifier for a network of about 15
CO2 pads.

I think our pads are metric ;-)

Charlie
--
C. R. Wright                                    Dept. of Genetics
+44 (0)223 333970 telephone                     Univ. of Cambridge