** Help with AO staining for drosophila salivary glands

William J. Etges wetges at COMP.UARK.EDU
Thu Aug 11 08:21:33 EST 1994

At  3:08 AM 8/11/94 +0000, Sinisac Mike wrote:
>I would like to know if anyone has a staining protocol for
>staining the salivary glands of drosophila with Acridine Orange.
>I am interested in viewing the differentiation between the RNA
>(chromosome puffs) and DNA portions of the polytene chromosomes
>located in the salivary glands of another class of diptera.
>I've tried several things already and am have been unable
>to come up with anything really good yet. Any help would be
>much appreciated.
>

>Dave
>sinisac at server.uwindsor.ca

Dave,
                I have an old protocol for acridine orange staining using
air dried slides. This may not help you with polytenes. The reference is
Sharma and Talkuder 1974 in: Laboratory Procedures in Human Genetics
1:117-118. Let me know if you need more help.

Bill

William J. Etges                                  "Rural Arkansas is
Department of Biological Sciences   poor. Although you
University of Arkansas                       do see better-off areas.
Fayetteville, AR 72701  USA              You can tell because
wetges at comp.uark.edu                      the trailers are
voice: (501) 575-6358                             double-wides."
FAX   (501) 575-40                               P.J. O'Rourke