images of drosophila

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Sep 13 13:45:28 EST 1993

I would be *very happy* to have anyone with images of drosophila
to drop them off by ftp to fly.bio.indiana.edu, in the Incoming/
directory.  I've been trying to get some of the flybase people
to come up with fly images for our archive, but w/o success yet.
Any drosophila images will go into the Flybase/ area at IUBio
archive.  Suggested formats are:  GIF, JPEG/JFIF, PICT(mac), Post-
script.  Suggested content:  example fly phenotypes,
karyotypes -- chromosomes with marked positions, gene maps, or
whatever else drosophila researchers care to look at.  The Gopher+
software that IUBio archive runs makes it possible to serve out
the same picture in multiple formats, to best support a diverse
set of client computers.  E.g., postscript may be best format for
Unix and printing, whereas PICT might best suit Macintosh users.
GIF is the most widely available picture format, but looses resolution
easily.

I can do some conversion among formats, so if you have any fly
pix in any computer format and can ftp them to fly.bio.indiana.edu,
please do so.  Please note that any images donated must be free of
copyright restriction, as they will be made available freely to all
scientists.

-- don
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu