NMFS National Systematics Laboratory
National Museum of Natural History, MRC-153
P.O. Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012 USA
e-mail: VecchioneM from si.edu=20
From: Tom Hourigan [mailto:Tom.Hourigan from noaa.gov]
Sent: Fri 07-Aug-09 11:52 AM
Subject: Job Announcement: Deep Sea Coral Research Specialist
Dear Deep-Sea Coral and Marine Conservation Community:
NOAA's Fisheries Service Office of Habitat Conservation, through our =
contract firm I.M. Systems Group (IMSG), is seeking a Deep Sea Coral =
Research Specialist. We are looking for a dynamic individual who can =
contribute to both the science and conservation efforts and enhance the =
linkages between the two. The position will be located in our office at =
NOAA headquarters in Silver Spring MD.=20
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape the Deep Sea Coral =
Research and Technology Program, a major new deep-sea research effort at =
NOAA. Information on the Program can be found in our first report to =
Field research under the program began this month with a research cruise =
to Lophelia deep-sea coral communities located off the Atlantic Coast of =
Florida using Harbor Branch's submersible. Postings on the cruise can =
be found on the USGS site DISCOVRE (see =
The Job Announcement is posted below. IMSG will be accepting =
applications until this position is filled, and there is no citizenship =
requirement for this position. Please pass this announcement to all =
individuals that may be interested, and direct all queries concerning =
the position to IMSG at jobs from imsg.com.
The Job Announcement:
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG, http://www.imsg.com/) is looking to hire
a Deep Sea Coral Research Specialist to work in the NOAA Fisheries
Service (NMFS) Office of Habitat Conservation (OHC), Habitat Protection
Division (HP, http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/habitat/index.html), which is
part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The
position will be located at OHC headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Deep Sea Coral Research Specialist will provide coordination across
NOAA for deep-sea coral-related matters under the NOAA Coral Reef
Conservation Program (CRCP, www.coralreef.noaa.gov/) and support NOAA
Fisheries Service implementation of the Deep Sea Coral Research and
Technology Program (DSCRTP). =20
Duties will focus on coordination of NOAA's deep-sea coral activities,
development of the congressionally-mandated DSCRTP; synthesis of
scientific and conservation information in scientific publications and
reports to Congress and the public; and liaison with the Regional
Fishery Management Councils, other federal agencies and stakeholders.
The contractor's duties will include but not be limited to:
The contractor's duties will include but not be limited to:
* Leading coordination of and representing NMFS on NOAA's "Deep Team" =
and the Deep-Sea Coral Working Group and associated program planning and =
* Coordinating the implementation of NOAA's Deep-Sea Coral Strategic =
Plan and continuing the development of the Deep Sea Coral Research and =
Technology Program. This includes coordinating with researchers and =
managers, preparing reports, preparing briefing materials, etc.
* Ensuring that the program's plans are scientifically and =
technically sound, that they are appropriate for the management needs, =
and that the scientific and technological information produced is =
reliable and adequate for regulatory purposes.
* Ensuring that approaches and lessons learned in each region inform =
Program activities in all other regions.=20
* Leading development of the biennial Report to Congress on =
Implementation of the Deep Sea Coral Research and Technology Program, in =
consultation with Regional Fishery Management Councils.
* Collecting and organizing information on existing NOAA and external =
research on deep-sea corals and management efforts that support their =
* Supporting coordination with NOAA Fisheries Service and regional =
Fisheries Management Council deep-sea coral science and management =
efforts; assisting in developing priorities and monitoring performance; =
providing budget forecasting and preparation of funding requests. =
(Occasional travel to NMFS Regions or Science Centers may be required.) =
* Staffing the Interagency Board on Deep Sea Corals and other =
Vulnerable Marine Ecosystems under the Joint Subcommittee on Ocean =
Science and Technology and participating in planning meetings, drafting =
reports and coordinating with other Federal agency representatives on =
the Board's work. =20
* Doctoral degree (highly preferred) or masters degree with =
equivalent additional experience in a relevant discipline such as marine =
science, biology, marine or environmental management or policy.
* Experience conducting research or policy work relevant to deep-sea =
coral or sponge ecosystems or deep-sea habitat science and related =
* Familiarity with issues related to fisheries management, including =
management of fisheries bycatch and impacts on benthic habitats.=20
* Strong writing skills and experience with writing or editing =
technical and/or scientific reports and manuscripts.
* Self-motivated, with strong organizational skills and attention to =
* Ability to work well individually and cooperatively with a range of =
individuals in a complex team environment=20
* Solid interpersonal and communication skills, as they will be =
required to interact constructively with an array of individuals and =
groups internal and external to NOAA=20
* Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and to shift =
priorities as needed.
* Willingness to learn new skills.
* Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
* Ability to travel on a periodic basis.
* 2-3 years of program or project planning experience or research =
* Experience presenting scientific research findings orally and in =
writing to both scientific and general audiences. =20
* Familiarity with the federal fisheries management and regional =
fisheries management councils.=20
Please send your resume, three (3) references and a cover letter
describing how your knowledge and skills fulfill the requirements of the
position to jobs from imsg.com <mailto:jobs from imsg.com> <mailto:jobs from imsg.com> =
with the following
subject heading: NOA09036 - NOAA Deep-Sea Coral Research Specialist. =20
The vacancy announcement is open until filled. =20
IMSG is an equal opportunity employer.
I.M. Systems Group
olsone from imsg.com