Call for a Pillow Basalt

InterRidge Office mac at ext.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 30 09:55:27 EST 1997

                  CALL FOR A PILLOW BASALT

DO NOT USE "REPLY" TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE!
              Please send responses to sloan at amnh.org

Dear InterRidge Community,

        The American Museum of Natural History is currently
developing a large exhibition project which includes renovation of
the Hayden Planetarium and three new permanent exhibition
halls:  Hall of the Universe, Hall of Planet Earth, and Hall of
Biodiversity.  The Hall of Planet Earth will present the Earth as a
unique and dynamic planet of interconnected systems and
processes.  A key approach in the Hall's organization will be the
presentation of the evidence - the actual rocks - and the techniques
used by geoscientists to learn about the planet.
        The Hall of Planet Earth will be a science driven, rather
than collection based, exhibition.  It will contain large and
beautiful objects with an eye towards communicating to the public
a sense of wonder at the scale and dynamism of the processes
which form and continue to shape our Earth.
        As content coordinator for the Hall of Planet Earth, it's
my job to find and acquire (on loan or outright) many of these
objects.  As former InterRidge coordinator, I figured that if
anyone had a big, beautiful pillow basalt or knew where to find
one, it would be you.  My experience of InterRidge Community
response such requests has been of generosity and good will.  So,
I'm appealing to you once again.  If any of you know of a pillow
basalt which might be available either as a gift or on permanent
loan, please contact me.

                All the best,
                        Heather Sloan
                        Earth and Planetary Sciences