RIAO 2007 8th Conference
May 30 to June 1, 2007, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Large-Scale Semantic Access to Content
Call for Applications
Deadline: march 16 2007
The RIAO conferences are meeting places for scientific and industrial
specialists in information retrieval. There are sites for presentations of
both high-level peer-reviewed scientific research and prototypes and of
innovative products, selected by a special call for products. A global call
for products is sent at the same time that the call for papers. The
products presented are chosen uniquely on the basis of their innovativeness.
The "Centre de Hautes Études Internationales d'Informatique Documentaire"
(C.I.D.) organizes the RIAO conferences every three years since 1985. RIAO
stands for "Recherche d'Information Assistée par Ordinateur".
RIAO conferences have two selection committees: a Program Committee for
scientific papers, and an Applications Committee which seeks out and
selects those innovative products for the conference.
The RIAO conferences are not trade shows since the teams presenting
innovative products are selected and do not pay for the place and time that
they are given during the conference.
Companies whose product fulfills the criteria of novelty and of
innovativeness can fill in a dossier designed by the conference organizers
that describes their submitted product.
In addition to the dossier, product submitters will have to provide access
to an online or CD version of the product that demonstrates the claimed
innovative functionalities of the product. Applications Committee members
will verify the functionalities of the product.
After examination of the dossier and the demonstration of each product, the
Application Committee members select the best products.
Each chosen company will be provided with a demonstration space (including
table and chair) free of charge. The space is near the amphitheatre in
which the scientific papers are presented.
Each company may also be given a special time slot (15 minutes) to give a
short presentation about the product.
In addition, innovative products chosen for RIAO 2007 will be able to
present their financial prospects to technology financing specialists
(venture capital, private equity) that will be specifically invited for
The general topic of the Call for Applications is:
INNOVATIVE TOOLS PROVIDING ACCESS TO VERY LARGE VOLUMES OF MULTIMEDIA
AND/OR MULTILINGUAL DATA
Among other topics concerning the theme of the conference, the submissions
might concern one or more of the following subjects:
- Automatic indexing of video, images, and speech
- Improved indexing of text, image, video and sound
- Ontologies and unstructured data
- Semantic Web and Ontologies for Full-Scale Information Retrieval
- Automatically producing textual descriptions of images
- Automatically adding metadata to video and sound
- Indexing and retrieval of mixed-media documents
- Indexing interactive documents
- Natural interface dialogue
- Multimedia question answering systems
- Competitive Intelligence
- Intelligent Search Agents
- Multimodal search
- Architectures for semantic treatment of very large databases
- Algorithms for semantic treatment of very large databases
- Comprehension-based question answering and summarization
- Cooperative indexing between media
- Semantics for less studied languages
- Semantic representations and standards
- Collaborative construction of semantic resources
- Indexing multilingual collections
- Automatic extraction of ontologies from unstructured data
- Aligning multilingual ontologies
- Language resources for multimedia indexing
- Extracting semantic resources from raw data
- Semantic annotation of blogs and videoblogs
- Exploiting large-scale resources for e-learning
- Structuring cultural heritage
- Technological, commercial, industrial watch systems
- Semantic access to large and open archives
Descriptions of the products demonstrated during RIAO 2007 will be
published in the proceedings.
Proposals of products will be sent on the web site of the conference
Submission: march 16, 2007
Notification of acceptance: april 10, 2007
Conference: May 30 to June 1, 2007 - Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Frédéric Le Roux (France)
Josiane Mothe (France)