left2right=right2left? (protein aminoacid sequences)

Adrian Laugarvatn AdrnLgrvtn at gazeta.pl
Mon Sep 16 21:00:01 EST 2002

Is the sense of aminoacid sequence important for protein folding? If You
have 2  sequences that look identical when the first one is scanned from
left to right and the second to the oposite then will the 2 proteins fold
into the identical 3D-structure either?

In other words: if You exactly REVERSE the aminoacid sequence (for a
particular item of protein) - will such alteration influence, even in the
any slightest manner, the folding process and the result of it - protein's
3-D structure? By "reversing" I mean the replacing of aminoacid molecules
at all mutual positions to produce the exact ANTI-SEQUENCE. I realise
aminoacid molecules are not symmetrical and they are "aware" who is "next"
and "previous" in the sequence. However from the "outside" view, namely
for the folding process, this could be indiscernible, couldn't it?.

Thank You in advance for any help!
Adrian

--
Serwis Usenet w portalu Gazeta.pl -> http://www.gazeta.pl/usenet/