Autodidact wants help

Malay curiouser at ccmb.ap.nic.in
Fri Mar 30 20:22:46 EST 2001

Dear Netters:

I am a biologist, currently finishing my Ph.D. in Molecular Biology. I love
computers ( for some unknown reason ) and taught myself several skills in C,
C++, Java, JavaScript and Perl. I am good at tinkering with codes and coming
out with quick solution of small problems. I have written several Perl
Modules and an interface in JavaScript for web-based services (manuscript
just been accepted in Bioinformatics journal).

Although I feel I can contribute quite a bit in Bioinformatics, I can't read
technical papers in Computational Biology primarily because of a lack of
knowledge in Computer Science. Of late I have taken a vow to teach myself
basics of computer science. I want your help in this regard.

As you can see I am a student in India and doing my Ph.D in an institute
primarily meant for biological science. Neither I have access to books nor
have enough money to buy whatever books I can lay my hands on.

Here are some help that I want:

Please suggest books that are indispensable and I should definitely buy.
Please suggest web site where I can find tutorials. I welcome any suggestion
regarding how to shape my knowledge base

Please help!

Malay

Malay Kumar Basu
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
Hyderabad 500007
I N D I A

Fax: (00-91)40-7171195
Phone: (00-91)40-7172241
-----
186,000 miles/sec: Not just a good idea, it's the LAW.
-----
curiouser at ccmb.ap.nic.in

---