Arka 0.04 released

January Weiner nospam_jweiner1 at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 23 20:04:12 EST 2001

Arka is a simple graphical user interface for command line programs, with
the focus on the gp package of sequence analysis tools
(http://www.bioinformatics.org/genpak). The program reads a description of the
command line tools from a text file and produces a GUI dialog upon users
request. Then, the command line program is executed, and output / error
messages can be recorded and edited.

Arka is written in C/ Gtk+, so it is mainly for Unix systems. It is quick,
small, does not depend on GNOME/KDE and is early beta :-). In theory, it could
serve as a GUI for any command line programs, from blasta to zip, it is
just a matter of writing a specification file.

Apart from being a user interface for other program, there are two small
visualisation tools -- one for creating *very* primitive GC contents graphs
and one for fully interactive displaying 3D graphs (which I coded to
visualize some DNA structural features I was working on).

You'll find it on http://www.bioinformatics.org/genpak/. I am interested in
any comments on the programs usability.

Best regards,

January

--
Biologists do it with clones. Molecular biologists do it with hot probes.