Darwin 2.0 Available

Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com
Tue May 23 14:13:26 EST 2000

From: Bill A Nussbaumer at BDX on 05/22/2000 03:48 PM

I had never heard of this before.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone has any
experience with this, and any insight as to why it might be more or less useful
than any of the bioperl, biojava, biopython, bioxml efforts currently underway.

Just curious,

Bill Nussbaumer

Darwin 2.0 Available
Reference Page: http://cbrg.inf.ethz.ch/darwin2.html
MOTIVATION

We announce the availability of the second release of Darwin v. 2.0 , an
interpreted computer language especially tailored to researchers in the
biosciences. The system is a general tool applicable to a wide range of
problems.

RESULTS

This second release improves Darwin version 1.6 in several ways: it now
contains

1.    a larger set of libraries touching most of the classical problems from
computational biology (pair-wise alignment, all versus all alignments, tree
construction, multiple sequence alignment),
2.    an expanded set of general purpose algorithms (search algorithms for
discrete problems, matrix decomposition routines, complex/long integer
arithmetic operations),
3.    an improved language with a cleaner syntax,
4.    better on-line help, and
5.    a number of fixes to user-reported bugs.

AVAILABILITY

Darwin is made available for most operating systems free of charge from the
CBRG. Just go to http://cbrg.inf.ethz.ch/subsection3_3_5.html