ANNOUNCE: NAMD 2.0 Release

kaynjay at igalaxy.net kaynjay at igalaxy.net
Tue Mar 30 13:15:04 EST 1999

In <w80L2.17309$134.180477 at tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, on 03/29/99
   at 07:38 PM, "David Lloyd-Jones" <icomm5 at netcom.ca> said:

>My goodness, if this discussion group is devoted to advertising software we
>might as well all go home.

Hmm.  I haven't seen any flashing neon signs nor mention of the yellow pages

Were it about something other than a tool of the trade I would agree with
you.  However, such an announcement (especially for a freely available
distribution) serves that portion of the scientific community which either
1) keeps an open mind about the quality of their work (is my app the best
for what I [want to] do?) or 2) is searching for such apps (I fall into this
catagory).  While I spend time looking for software as well as I can, Any
input/information is welcome.

Personally, I am quite content to see _these specific_ announcements made.
Those I recognize as unimportant are a simple keystroke to /dev/null.

>One would have thought people would say what they were doing, and
>incidentally perhaps what software they were using, as a way to saying what
>they tought they might have found out.

If I understand this correctly, you are saying that researchers should let
their work speak for itself, with at best a mention of the tools they use
(such mention is a poor approach, IMO, since the input to these programs and
their use in the specific problem are paramount to the success of the
research).  I simply do not agree that this is the best or only way to "be a
scientist."   There is more to (some of) us and our connections to the
world.  And that should include some flexibility.

Kenward Vaughan
kaynjay at igalaxy.net