Metabolic modeling

Pedro Mendes pedro at enzyme.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 07:59:27 EST 1997

In article <32FB5557.15B5 at ibsm.cnrs-mrs.fr>, athel at ir2cbm.cnrs-mrs.fr says...
>Herbert Sauro replied:
>
>"Your're only about about 50 to 60 years too late. Metabolic modelling
>has been going on for quite some time..."
>
>Maybe true, if a little unkind, but don't worry, there is plenty left to
>do. Actually, I don't know who was doing much of this sort of thing 50
>years ago, let alone 60 (what did they do it on? an abacus?). It mainly
>started with Garfinkel & Hess in the 1960s.

more than 50 years ago (1943) Britton Chance published simulations done
with a mechanical differential analyzer (they were actually on one isolated
enzyme not a pathway), but Athel is right,this was one isolated study and
it all began around 1960 with Chance Garfinkel and Hess. I would be very
interested in finding out about *any* computer simulation in biochemistry 60
years ago :)

--
Pedro Mendes
home: pedro at enzyme.demon.co.uk , work: prm at aber.ac.uk