Metabolic modeling

Herbert M Sauro HSauro at fssc.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 07:58:13 EST 1997

In article <32FB5557.15B5 at ibsm.cnrs-mrs.fr>, Athel <athel at ir2cbm.cnrs-
mrs.fr> writes
>Jeff Taylor asked:
>
>"I've got a poster on my wall that illustrates many of the major
>
>I'm surprised Pedro Mendes and Herbert Sauro didn't mention in their
>otherwise useful responses that you appear to have looked in the wrong
>news group, at least, not in the most appropriate one, which is at
>http://www.bio.net/hypermail/BTK-MCA/. You'll find lots of stuff there
>about topics related to meta-bolic modelling.
>
>Herbert Sauro replied:
>
>"Your're only about about 50 to 60 years too late. Metabolic modelling
>has been going on for quite some time..."
>
>Maybe true, if a little unkind, but don't worry, there is plenty left to
>do. Actually, I don't know who was doing much of this sort of thing 50
>years ago, let alone 60 (what did they do it on? an abacus?). It mainly
I think Athel is referring to digital computers. We mustn't forget that
some important metabolic/enzyme simulation was done on analog computers
in the early days. The first record I've got of a simulation is from
1952 by Chance, Higgins et al where they simulated calalase using an
analog computer. So that's roughly 50 years ago. Higgins hints that
analog computers were in use by Chance in 1949. So 50 to 60 years ago is
not so far fetched.
>started with Garfinkel & Hess in the 1960s.
>
>Athel Cornish-Bowden

Athel is quite right however to point out that I shouldn't put you off
simulating!

Herbert
--
Herbert M Sauro