How to calculate ?

Leonid A. Sadofiev leosad at may.stud.pu.ru
Tue Aug 6 19:19:02 EST 1996

Dear all,

I can't find a good idea, how to calculate:

Than I comparing two sequences (amino acid or nucleotide)
with length L1 and L2, I get a common region with
length LR, containing N mismatches.
The questions are:
What a chance to obtain such region in unrelated sequences ?
Can I use the binomical formulas for this case ?

Could any body send me the formulas to calculate this chance
or reference for it ?

Please reply to leosad at may.stud.pu.ru

Thanks in advance.
                        Leonid A. Sadofiev