effect of the number of parents in a GA

Fok-Yan Leung fok-yan at CHEM.QueensU.CA
Wed May 24 23:23:19 EST 1995

I am developing a Genetic Algorithm (GA) for application to a
conformational search problem involving peptides.  I was wondering
whether there is any information available on the effect of the number
of parents on the convergence of a system.  Is it possible for there
to be three or more parents?  I have heard that two parents are
optimal, however, my system is complicated in that the scheme which I
have used in my program does not distinguish the "sex" of an
individual (which can reproduce,) nor is there any "lifetime" which is
defined (i.e. individuals are possibly immortal, granted that they
stayin the group of "fittess" individuals.)  If there are any ideas
pertaining to the consequences of a three or multi-parent crossover, I
would welcome them all.Also, if anyone knows anything about, or has
any idea where information can be gotten (i.e. references) about this
same subject, please tell me.

Thank you.

Fok-Yan Leung, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.