[Chlamydomonas] Write for Nature

Mike Adams via chlamy%40net.bio.net (by adams from easternct.edu)
Wed Jul 7 08:03:09 EST 2010

This is a follow-up to my previous memo. Nature has launched a web-based
teaching site, called Scitable ( http://www.nature.com/scitable) , and is
looking for authors. I am editor for one of the segments on Cell Biology  If
you look at the site you can see the type of articles already in the
Genetics section.

Nature deems any publications on the site to be citable, refereed articles,
and they can be listed as such on your c.v. If you are interested in
submitting an article on any relevant topic, or would like additional
information, please contact me. Also, if you know of any colleagues who
might be interested, please pass this information on to them

My portion of the site will cover the following topics:
Membranes, organelles, cytoskeleton and motility, mitochondria, plant cells

Instructions from Nature

1.    Must be at level accessible for college students (don¹t assume
knowledge beyond introductory biology concepts, define terms, write without
excess jargon)
2.    Must be supporting one to three major scientific conclusions or
points, not more.
3.    Points must be very central to the understanding of the field, not
side issues.  When methods are illustrated, please do so while explaining
how they were used to analyze real data.
4.    Must be evidence-based, ideally must describe in some detail at least
one major experiment on which scientific conclusions were based.
5.    Must explain intro biology context, but very briefly.
6.    Illustrations must be from the nature archive. Make sure to write a
simple caption that will replace original published caption.
7.    Because this is a web resource, try to avoid long paragraphs. This is
not a text book.
8.    Perhaps it should go without saying, but no plagiarism.  It¹s
important to avoid reusing others¹ words, even if we¹re citing them.
9.    Be sure to include your reference list. Provide citations for several
important seminal papers or recent work that shows the science behind what
you explain. When possible, include ones from Nature Publishing Group, as
these are ones we can easily link to from the article.

Authors have the unique opportunity to be a part of a huge Education project
here at NPG, which is growing, and contributes to the future of science
education. To contribute an article, all we ask is that they download some
of the knowledge that¹s in your heads, and along with your teaching
know-how, craft an article that is instructive and illustrative of the
science behind what we know. We do NOT expect review articles‹in fact we
actively discourage it and do not want to publish textbook-like material.
The writing must be question-motivated, explanatory, and refer to some
relevant experiments to advance the ³answer² in a nice series of questions
that structure an article. No passive voice if you can help it too. All
introductory material will be covered in our cell bio course, so they need
not re-explain mitosis or what a chloroplast is, or anything other than a
brief intro sentence to orient the reader to some context for the article.

Mike Adams
Biology Dept
Eastern Connecticut State University
Willimantic, CT 06226