[Chlamydomonas] help with growth difficulty

Joseph Longworth via chlamy%40net.bio.net (by j.longworth from shef.ac.uk)
Thu Aug 12 06:37:55 EST 2010

Hi all

I am a first year PhD student trying to grow *Chlamydomonas*. I typically
grow cultures in conical flasks kept at 22 C under 12 hrs day/night cycles.
So far I have tried 3N-BBM+V, JM and TAP media but the cultures don't seem
to be growing correctly. Growth rates are very low, they sediment easily
 and under microscopy the majority of the population seem to have lost their
flagella, rounded and become heavily compartmentalised with vacuoles. They
do however remain green suggesting they are still photosynthesising.
Is anyone able to suggest from the description where i might be going wrong
with this culture?

If you can help thank you very much, if not thank you very much for your
attention.

Joseph Longworth
PhD student
University of sheffield