rGametolysin

ERIC A JOHNSON ejohn at jhu.edu
Sun Sep 12 09:56:21 EST 2004

Hello,

I am a postdoc working on Chlamydomonas.  I am hoping to get the response of other researchers working on Chlamydomonas to the following statement.

As a side project I have been working on a recombinant gamete autolysin.  So far I have been able to get the fragment of the MMP1 gene coding for the mature enzyme into a expression vector and to induce some gene expression in E.coli.  I have partially purified this protein and seen some cell wall degradation (using Triton-X 100 and looking at chlorophyll in the supernatant).  I would like to try to increase my yield after induction and create a much more purified protein.  A recent NIH program announcement “Tools for genetic and genomic studies in emerging model organisms” (PA-04-135) might be able to provide a small amount of support for me to extend my work on this project.  In the application instructions it states that I should “...provide evidence of research community consultation and consensus regarding the poten
tial value of the resource.”  I would therefore like to ask for responses from researchers working with Chlamydomonas as to whether they would find value in an active recombinant gamete autolysin enzyme.  This program also stipulates that the resource must be made freely available, so if I get funds to complete the project, the enzyme will be available to everyone.  The deadline for the next NIH funding cycle is October 1, if you could just send me a short email before then, I will compile the responses and use them to complete my application (all names will be withheld from the comments).  If you could send me a brief replay (ejohn at jhu.edu), I would be most grateful.  Thank you for your time and thanks to Dr. Harris for allowing me to post this message.

Eric Johnson