Request for ideas from Chlamy network

William J. Snell william.snell at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Nov 28 16:07:59 EST 2001

Dear Chlamy folks:

A colleague would like to prepare ~100 mg of GTP whose carbon atoms are
as close to 100% C12 as possible. I understand from talking with him
that naturally occuring C is about 99% C12 and 1% C13.  CO2 that is 100%
C12 is commercially available. He approached me about the possibility of
using the 100%C12 CO2 as a carbon source to grow Chlamydomonas, from
which he would isolate RNA and then use the RNA as a source for preparing GTP
containing only C12.

Does anyone out there have thoughts about the wisdom of this approach or
any experience with these methods.

Bill Snell

Department of Cell Biology,
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Rm. K2-226
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-9039
T-214-648-2332