measuring photorespiration with phenylhydrazine

Peter Robinson p.k.robinson at UCLAN.AC.UK
Wed Feb 17 10:01:05 EST 1999

Reposted from ALGAE-L - can anyone answer this?

I have some undergrads who want a simple method for measuring the rate of
photorespiration.  I remember reading somewhere about the use of
phenylhydrazine to measure the glyoxylate produced in photorespiration.  Does
anyone have further details of this method, or does anyone know of a "better"
method which could be used.

Thanks in advance      Peter Robinson

Dr Peter K Robinson
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Central Lancashire
Preston,   PR1 2HE,   England
Tel +44 (0)1772 893911   Fax  +44 (0)1772 892929