C.eugametos/moewusii

Patrick Ferris FERRIS at WUSTLB.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Mar 22 22:50:04 EST 1995

In <199503221405.JAA09460 at acpub.duke.edu> chlamy at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU writes:

> However, in the world of genetics, C. eugametos has been retained as the
> name for the European strains originally isolated by Moewus and
> subsequently studied by Gowans (see Gowans, Phycologia 3, 37-44, 1963),
> while C. moewusii is used to refer to strains isolated by Provasoli in New
> York in 1948.  These strains are interfertile but with poor product
> viability (see Gowans, 1963, also Lemieux et al., Current Genetics 3,
> 97-103, 1981), and have significant differences at the molecular level (see
> for example Boudreau et al.,  Plant Mol. Biol. 24, 585-602, 1994).
> Elizabeth Harris
> chlamy at acpub.duke.edu

  There are also two more recent isolates in the SAG collection, 23-91
and 24-91, which are a mating pair, interfertile with C.
eugametos (UTEX 9/10), and showing RFLPs relative to UTEX 9/10
(no published report, to my knowledge, just a poster from the
Musgrave group at the Asilomar meeting).

Patrick Ferris