C.eugametos/moewusii

Elizabeth Harris chlamy at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Wed Mar 22 09:06:16 EST 1995

>Can anyone tell me if Chlamydomonas eugametos is the same as C. moewusii?
>If so, which is the correct name, when and why did it change, and was
>this described in a published report? I've seen a reference to this
>somewhere on the net but didn't get the whole story.

It depends on whether you ask a taxonomist or a geneticist or molecular
biologist.  C. eugametos was described by Franz Moewus in 1931, but Czurda
(1935) and Gerloff (1940) found that isolates they obtained from Moewus
differed significantly from Moewus' description, and Gerloff redescribed
one of these isolates as the new species C. moewusii (Arch.  Protistenk.
94, 311-502, 1940) .  Hanus Ettl, author of _Die Gattung Chlamydomonas_
(Beih. Nova Hedwigia 49, 1976), the major taxonomic work on the genus,
discarded C. eugametos as a species name in favor of C. moewusii.

However, in the world of genetics, C. eugametos has been retained as the
name for the European strains originally isolated by Moewus and
subsequently studied by Gowans (see Gowans, Phycologia 3, 37-44, 1963),
while C. moewusii is used to refer to strains isolated by Provasoli in New
York in 1948.  These strains are interfertile but with poor product
viability (see Gowans, 1963, also Lemieux et al., Current Genetics 3,
97-103, 1981), and have significant differences at the molecular level (see
for example Boudreau et al.,  Plant Mol. Biol. 24, 585-602, 1994).

For a more extensive discussion, as well as an equally confusing history of
C. reinhardtii strains, see _The Chlamydomonas Sourcebook_, pages 14-16.

Elizabeth Harris
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu