C.eugametos/moewusii

Charles J. O'Kelly okellyc at ayers.BCH.UMontreal.CA
Wed Mar 22 12:09:37 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950321175713.21669D-100000 at interchg.ubc.ca> dion at UNIXG.UBC.CA (Dion G Durnford) writes:

>Can anyone tell me if Chlamydomonas eugametos is the same as C. moewusii?

no.  Chlamydomonas eugametos Moewus 1931 = C. sphagnicola Pascher 1930.

C. sphagnicola is the older name, and is therefore the correct name.
C. eugametos is therefore a later synonym, and has no standing in
botanical nomenclature (translation: anything called C. eugametos should
be called something else).

C. eugametos Moewus sensu Czurda 1935 is different from C. eugametos
Moewus.  It is identical to C. moewusii Gerloff 1940.

Since the research bug almost everybody knows as C. eugametos corresponds
to Czurda's concept, practically all the research strains of C. eugametos
should be known as C. moewusii.  This has already happened in the listings
of the Culture Collection of Algae of the University of Texas at Austin and
the Sammlung von Algenkulturen Goettingen.

Ettl H.  1983.  Phytomonadina.  Susswasserflora von Mitteleuropa, vol. 9.
(not the complete citation, I don't have the book in front of me)

A few strains formerly known as C. eugametos have been transferred, not to
C. moewusii but to C. kappa Ettl (or is it C. hydra?) in the culture
collections listed above.  I don't know whether this work has been published.
Hans Ettl and Uve Gert Schlosser are at work on a series of taxonomic
revisions in Chlamydomonas, but most of this labor has not yet been published.

> I've seen a reference to this somewhere on the net

Protist Image Database?  http://megasun.bch.umontreal.ca/protists/protists.
html.  come visit :-)

charley o'kelly
mad protistologist