gene names (cont.)

chlamy at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU chlamy at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Fri May 27 14:12:13 EST 1994

Peter Luykx wrote,

>   I agree with Malcolm Campbell that it's probably not a good idea to use "+"
>or "-" as parts of gene designations, because of possible confusion with mating
>type loci.  In my lab I use P and M for mating types; e.g., pf18 P   ac145 M
>    ------ Peter Luykx

Can we keep + and - JUST for mating types?  e.g. a strain might be

CC-125 C. reinhardtii mt+

or

CC-530 ac-17 mt-

[hyphen or not, and caps, remaining to be decided, of course]

I see nothing wrong with Peter's P and M terminology for in-house use, but
the mt+ and mt- conventions seem to be standard elsewhere and I'd like to
continue to keep using those, always prefaced by mt in the database.
However, in a published paper I have no objection to using superscript + to
indicate the wild-type allele at a locus, or in a commonly used format for
a cross:

+ pf-14  X  ac-17 +

[The usual convention is to name the mt+ parent first in a cross, so it
isn't specified here; just that the first parent has the wild-type allele
at the ac-17 locus and the second parent has the wild-type allele of
pf-14.]

However, in the database, where superscripts aren't going to be feasible, I
would prefer to avoid this system and keep + and - for mating type only.

Susan - do we actually need to resolve this for your TIG entry?

Elizabeth Harris
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu