gene nomenclature

chlamy at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU chlamy at ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Thu May 26 11:10:18 EST 1994

Bill Birky asks:

It's
>my impression that Susan's suggestion is meant to apply to genetic loci;
>would it also apply to sequenced genes?  The International Society of Plant
>Molecular Biology established a Commission on Plant Gene Nomenclature...

Susan's proposal is specifically for genetic loci.  We will follow the CPGN
recommendations for genes.

I am currently working on an acedb-based database for Chlamy, which will
eventually be accessible both in a stand-alone form and as part of the
combined plant genome database at the National Agricultural Library.  In
order to be compatible with the latter, we need to adopt the standard
terminology wherever possible.  The NAL database defines Locus as a
mappable entity, which need not be a gene; i.e. molecular markers can
constitute a locus without being genes that encode a product.  Alleles are
variations at a locus.

Susan's proposal thus deals specifically with what we in the Chlamy
community want to call those loci which have traditionally been identified
by mutation, and how we want to designate alleles at those loci.

Elizabeth Harris
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu