Axenization

Tom O'Neill pbi at paragonbioservices.com
Mon Mar 25 12:34:39 EST 2002

I axenized my first worms on Friday using the bleach/lye extraction
procedure. It appears to have gone well. The worms are now growing in
a bacteria-free peptone/yeast extract/hemoglobin media. My only
problem was with the word itself-- axenization. It doesn't exactly
roll off the tongue. In our newly formed nematode group, we've
decided to use the term "weach" (worm bleach) to describe the
bleach-based axenization process.

e.g "Have the worms been weached?"

"Actually, they're weaching as we speak."

Try it in your lab-- it's a good word.

Regards,
Thomas "Onan" O'Neill