Jorgensen lab technician

Jorgensen Jorgensen at BIOSCIENCE.BIOLOGY.UTAH.EDU
Tue Oct 15 08:37:33 EST 1996

                      Subject:                              Time:  7:36 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Jorgensen lab technician              Date:  10/15/96

Jorgensen lab technician

A position is available for a Research Assistant in my lab in the Department
of Biology at the University Utah in Salt Lake City.  We are analyzing genes
required for synaptic function in the C. elegans.  I am looking for someone
to characterize the UNC-70 protein as an independent research project.  The
UNC-70 protein modulates the level of neurotransmitter release at synapses
and may be involved in a signal transduction system that controls the
activity of the synapse.  Additional job responsibilities will include
maintaining a molecular stock collection and overseeing the day-to-day
laboratory needs.  My laboratory consists of one postdoc and 4 graduate
students.  The applicant should have a bachelor's or master's degree and a
minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience in molecular biology.  A two year
commitment is expected.  Salary will be commensurate with experience.  The
applicant should be motivated, have good organizational skills and a lively
interest in biological questions.  I consider an ability to work well with
people of the highest priority.

C. elegans research at Utah is at a very exciting stage.  There are presently
three new but growing C. elegans laboratories at the University.  We share
weekly group meetings with the Mango and Maricq laboratories and comprise a
highly interactive and enthusiastic group.  The University of Utah is located
at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains; backpacking and mountain biking are
popular sports and the skiing is some of the best in the world.  The
extremely scenic and surreal deserts of southern Utah are only a few hours
drive away.  Life, it ends up, is very good.

Please send a CV and three letters of reference to:

Erik M. Jorgensen, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology
University of Utah