[Bionews] Re: Improvements for BIOSCI/Bionet groups

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 15:39:27 EST 2005

BIOSCI Administrator wrote:

> I'm proposing for discussion that we
> convert all of the active, but non-moderated groups into moderated
> ones, to eliminate spam.  This also requires human moderator(s), as
> spam filters are not perfect.  These can be a group of people, to
> spread the effort around.

I usually hang out in the molbio.protein and molbio.methds-reagent
groups and would be willing to share in the moderation task.

A more general consideration however: Would it not make sense to combine
groups in the rather frayed bionet tree? Traffic is not exactly
overwhelming and cross-fertilisation may occur. For example the entire
molbio branch could IMHO be combined into a single group, and that could
also include for example the xtallography group (which is, after all, a
molecular science).

Other candidates for combining would be the biology.computational and
software groups.

As any gardener will tell you, trees need pruning from time to time, so
they may bring better fruit!

Another question: Conference anouncements seem to make a major part of
the trafic in some groups, some conferences being anounced several time,
than the changed deadline is anounced (also several time) and finally
the availability of conference proceedings or -videos. Do we want them
there, or should they go to bionet.anounce instead?