Mill Hill Essays 2000

Frank Norman fnorman at nimr.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 19:56:34 EST 2001

The 2000 issue of the Mill Hill Essays is now available online.

http://www.nimr.mrc.ac.uk/millhillessays/2000/

May 5th 2000 was the fiftieth anniversary
of the opening of the new Institute at Mill Hill by their majesties
King George VIth and Queen Elizabeth.  Rather than follow our
usual aim in this essay series, of considering medical science
topics in the news, we decided to include this small volume as part
of our anniversary celebrations.  For this purpose we have selected
areas of our own work at the Institute which have been continuous
important strands of medical research for the last half century.
Many other aspects of our research are of course not included, but
we hope you will get a flavour of the range of our interests from this
small selection.

Contents:
>From microbes to cancer (Don Williamson and Lee Johnston)
Of frogs and men (Tim Mohun and Jim Smith)
The immune systemi n health and disease (Victor Tybulewicz)
Unravelling the workings of the brain (Geoff Raisman)
Distemper and influenza at Mill Hill (Rick Carver and John Skehel)
The red road  [Malaria]  (Tony Holder )

The Mill Hill Essays are published annually to promote the public
understanding of Science. They were inspired by a series of BBC
Radio lectures given by eminent scientists in the 1950's, and
subsequently published as a book. They are written by members of
staff of the National Institute for Medical Research and guest
authors, and are designed to be accessible to anyone with an
interest in science and the natural world. Five volumes of essays
have been published and are available in print or online:

Printed copies are available on request.
Frank Norman            National Institute for Medical Research
Librarian               The Ridgeway, Mill Hill
                        London NW7 1AA,  UK
tel 020 8 913 8629      email fnorman at nimr.mrc.ac.uk
fax 020 8 913 8534

---