Bioethical Aspects of Biotechnology in the Agrofood Sector - Developing Countries

Julian Kinderlerer julian at kinderl.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 01:40:13 EST 1997

BIOETHICAL ASPECTS OF BIOTECHNOLOGY IN THE AGROFOOD SECTOR  ----
DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.

The European Union is funding a project to examine bioethical issues
resulting from the application of modern biotechnology in
agriculture, fisheries and food. The report resulting from this
study will be used in preparation for a Europe-wide conference
proposed by the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe in a
recommendation made in 1993,  supported by the Committee of
Ministers, to aid in determining the desirability of the drawing up
of a European Convention covering the bioethical aspects of
biotechnology in relation to Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.

Five working groups have been set up to examine the bioethics
involved in agriculture relating to

*   Food (including animals and food processing);
*   Industry (non-food biotechnology);
*   Medicine;
*   Environment; and
*   Developing Countries

The brief given to each includes the examination of issues relating to
both positive and negative implications of the technology, to include
general ethics, patenting, regulation and safety, economic and
political issues.

The groups have been asked to

1.           review the existing research, any documents or other
              material in their respective areas
2.           identify any deficiencies requiring further review and/or
              work
3.          conduct the appropriate work if necessary
4.          draw up a report of their findings.

The working group with responsibility for looking at the issues
relating to Developing Countries would welcome ideas aobut the
issues. We are a group based in Europe and may not appreciate
the perception of modern biotechnology particularly of those in
Developing Countries, or those in countries which have until recently
had a 'managed economy'.

In  order to allow a wide ranging debate, we invite anyone
to write to us (e-mail preferred) to provide us with their ideas on
the ethical issues associated with modern biotechnology within the
agro -food area and the impact on Developing Countries. We will
attempt to produce a summary of the comments we receive, and send the
summary to all who comment to us. It would be helpful if you could
reply  only to the e-mai address below, to allow us to handle the
replies and ensure a means of distributing summaries of comments.

Please help! - send your e-mail to

                               babas at sheffield.ac.uk

Julian Kinderlerer

Babas at sheffield.ac.uk

(Sheffield Institute of Biotechnological Law and Ethics, The
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S10 2TN, United Kingdom -
Phone + 44 (0) 114 222 4324.