New ANNELIDA mailing list

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Thu Nov 16 23:40:59 EST 1995

The following new mailing list/prototype newsgroup has been created.

Posting address:    annelida at net.bio.net

Discussion leader:  Dr Geoff Read (a polychaetologist)
                    National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research
                    Wellington, New Zealand
                    <gread at actrix.gen.nz> and <read at wao.greta.cri.nz>
                    Fax: +64-(4)-232-5621

Charter for ANNELIDA:

For discussion of the scientific study of Phylum Annelida and of other
worms with annelid affinities, encompassing the polychaetes, the
clitellates (oligochaetes and leeches), the pogonophora, vestimentifera,
sipunculans, and echiurids.

ANNELIDA is expected to draw subscribers mostly from amongst ecologists,
taxonomists, and other biologists interested in biodiversity and the study
of terrestrial or aquatic annelids and annelidan allies as *whole
organisms*. Medical, neuroscience, or biochemical research which happens to
use parts of annelids will probably be more appropriately discussed
elsewhere. Subscribers will be interested in *research* on the culture of
annelids, but operation of commercial and home worm-farms will not be a
discussion topic.

Polychaetologists already have a substantial e-mail group subscribing to
CHAETOZONE e-newsletter. Participation in ANNELIDA from other workers on
worms is warmly encouraged.

Further information on WWW Annelid resources is available at:

       http://www.actrix.gen.nz/users/chaeto/index.html

Subscribing to this list:
-------------------------

Please note that prototype groups are available only at the US BIOSCI
node net.bio.net, not at our UK site daresbury.ac.uk.

Please log in to the computer account in which you would like to
receive mail (not an account that you use infrequently) and send a
mail message to the Internet address

biosci-server at net.bio.net

Leave the Subject: line of the message blank (anything entered on it
is ignored) and enter the following line into the body of the mail
message:

subscribe annelida

This message will be automatically read by our computer and your
e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header and added to the
list.

Canceling your subscription:

in the body of the message.  Please be sure to send the message from
the account whose address matches the one on the list.  If your
address differs from the one on our list, you will receive an error
indicating that you are not on the list.  Please contact our help
address below for assistance if this happens.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM:
----------------------

Please send a message to the Internet address

biosci-help at net.bio.net

and someone on the staff here will help you.  PLEASE DO NOT send mail
to our personal e-mail addresses as this will delay a response to your
request for help.

How to post a message to the group:
-----------------------------------

Simply mail your message to the Internet address

annelida at net.bio.net

and your message will be distributed automatically to everyone on the
list.  There is no editorial intervention.  PLEASE DO NOT send
subscription requests to this address as you will bother everyone on
the newsgroup.  Please use the biosci-server at net.bio.net address as
instructed above for subscription/cancellation requests.

How to reply to a message on the group:
You must be certain that your reply contains the address

annelida at net.bio.net

in the mail header if you want to share it with everyone on the group.
Otherwise in most cases your reply may go back to only the original
poster of the message to which you are replying.

ALWAYS be certain that you examine the address on your messages before
you send them!!!  Once a message is sent there is no way to cancel it
or bring it back!!!  Some non-Internet compliant mail systems may
attempt to send replies to our error-trapping address called
BIOSCI-REQUEST.  If yours does this, please be sure to readdress your
message to annelida at net.bio.net if you want to send it to the
newsgroup.

How to look at archives of the list:
------------------------------------

The ANNELIDA archives are available on the World Wide Web at URL
http://www.bio.net/.  Please look under the BIOSCI/bionet archives
hypertext link and then click on the ANNELIDA folder/directory.  Each
file is assigned a date such as 9509 for September 1995.

Future Plans for the group:

This is a "prototype newsgroup" in our terminology which means that it
is currently distributed only by e-mail and not on USENET.  You will
find it listed near the end of the BIOSCI info sheet, not in the main
list of BIOSCI newsgroups.  In six months there will be a vote to
either convert it to a full-fledged USENET newsgroup or shut it down.

Once again, if you have any administrative questions that require
personal assistance, please address them to biosci-help at net.bio.net.