Journal of Biological Chemistry On-line

asbmb at ASBMB.FASEB.ORG asbmb at ASBMB.FASEB.ORG
Wed May 31 14:13:19 EST 1995

[Note from the moderator - ASBMB and the Journal of Biological
Chemistry are non-profit entities.  ASBMB is not charging for access
to this journal.]

     The World Wide Web version of the Journal of Biological Chemistry
     (JBC) is now ready to test.  To connect to JBC:

     1. Start Netscape 1.1. (or another WWW browser).
     2. Under FILE in the menu bar, select OPEN LOCATION.
     3. Type or copy and paste the URL for JBC:

     http://www-jbc.stanford.edu/jbc/

     4. Under BOOKMARKS in the menu bar, select ADD BOOKMARK.  Next time
     you start Netscape, you can select JBC from the BOOKMARKS menu.
     5. As you use JBC, record your comments by using the FEEDBACK button;
     we are anxious to get criticism and comments on this version. Please
     do not hesitate to re-distribute this announcement.

     The Internet version of JBC is a co-publishing venture of the American
     Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and the HighWire Press,
     the electronic imprint of the Stanford University Libraries and
     Academic Information Resources.  JBC is a weekly publication with
     approximately 30,000 pages per annual volume.  In the next six months,
     we will be moving to a full production operation featuring weekly
     issues.  All of the functions available now in the demonstration
     version and more will be available in the production version.

     Stanford colleagues of the JBC development team, led by John Sack,
     Associate Publisher of the HighWire Press, are proud of what the team
     has been able to accomplish in a few short months.  The development
     team consisted of a rich mixture of librarians, information
     technologists, faculty and students at Stanford, staff and management
     of WAIS, and the staff and management of Cadmus Journal Services, and,
     of course, our colleagues from the ASBMB.

     Please keep in mind that the system is still in development and that
     the information it contains in some expressions may not be
     scientifically accurate.  At the bottom of the SEARCH AND BROWSE page,
     select LIMITATIONS AND PLANS for a complete list of known limitations.

     Some of the limitations you may notice immediately are:

     1.  Multi-line equations are not displayed correctly.
     2.  Printing an entire article with all full-size figures
     requires several steps.  We are pursuing several options for making
     printing easier.
     3.  Greek letters and other special characters in
     text are not of the quality we hope to deliver in the future.
     4.  Viewing tables requires scrolling and sometimes even with
     scrolling it is not possible to view the entire table.
     5.  Footnotes on figures and tables are not displayed.
     6.  Only six issues (April 14 through May 19) are currently
     available.

     We look forward to receiving your comments; please note the feedback
     feature linked to the home page and most other pages within JBC.
     The feedback messages will go directly to the HighWire Press
     development team.