Conference Announcement

Hellfried Schreiber hs at helix.mdy.univie.ac.at
Tue May 16 16:50:37 EST 1995

    >> INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MOLECULAR STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY <<

             Organized by the Austrian Chemical Society

              Vienna (Austria), September 17-20, 1995

TOPICS:

      1) The Impact of Molecular Biology on Structural Biology
      2) Biomolecular Structure Determination
                  a) X-Ray Diffraction
                  b) NMR Spectroscopy
      3) Dynamics and Function of Biomolecules
      4) Computational Methods
      5) Protein Engineering and Design

The scientific programme is designed to cover a broad range of disciplines in
molecular structural biology. Topics will be presented in the form of plenary
lectures, posters, discussions and exhibitions.

Sunday, (17.9)
    Registration
    Welcome Cocktail
    Honory Lecture by H.Neurath

Monday, (18.9)

1. The impact of Molecular Biology on Structural Biology

	C.Cantor (USA) "Application of Streptavidin and
		Genetically Engineered Variants"
	T.Blundell (GB) "Protein Super Families: Genome
		Analyses and Drug Discovery"

2. Biomolecular Structure Determination

   a) X-Ray Crystallography

	R.Huber (D) "Proteolytic Enzymes and Their Natural
		Inhibitors - New Functions and New Structures
		and No End in Sight"
	M.Walkinshaw (CH) "Structures and Biological
		Implications of Series of Cyclophilin-Cyclosporin
		Crystal Complexes"
	I.Schlichting (D) "Ligand Binding in Heme Proteins
		Studied by Kinetic X-Ray Crystallography"

Tuesday (19.9.)

   b) NMR Spectroscopy

	O.Jardetzky (USA) "Flexibility and Function in a DNA
		Binding Protein - the Trp-Repressor of E.Coli"
	P.Roesch (D) "The Structure of Iron-Sulfur Proteins
		in Solution"
	C.Dobson (GB) "The Structural Basis of Protein Folding"

3. Dynamics and Function of Biomolecules

	J.Lakowicz (USA) "Fluorescence Spectroscopic Studies
		of the Structure and Dynamics of Biomolecules"
	W.Kuehlbrandt (D) "Structure Determination of Membrane
		Proteins by High-Resolution Electron Microscopy"
        H.Frauenfelder (USA) "Dynamics and Function of Biomolecules"

Wednesday (20.9.)

4. Computational Methods

	M.Karplus (USA) "Simulations of Protein Folding From the
		Native to the Denatured State and Back Again"
	J.Skolnick (USA) "A Hierarchial Approach to the Prediction
		of Protein Structures"
	H.-J.Boehm (D) "New Computational Tools for Structure
		Based Drug Design"

5. Protein Engineering and Design

	A.Fersht (GB) "Pathways of Protein Folding"
	L.Presta (USA) "Protein Engineering of Immunoglobulins and
		Immunoglobulin-Like Domains"
        M.Mutter (CH) "De Novo Protein Design"

CALL FOR POSTERS
-----------------

	All those intending to participate in the conference are invited
to submit posters presenting original work.
Abstracts prepared according to the instructions given below should arrive

			NOT LATER THAN JUNE 30th, 1995.

The authors will be informed about the provisional acceptance in July, 1995.
The presentation of the posters will be finally approved and thus the
contribution included in the Book of Abstracts when at least one of the
registers before August 1st, 1995. Contributors of outstanding posters will
be chosen by the scientific committee to give a 20 minute lecture.

Head of Scientific Committee:         P.Schuster

EXHIBITON:
---------

       An exhibition of instruments, accessories, software, literature and
other items is planned. Companies interested in displaying their products
are kindly requested to contact the conference secretariat.

INDUSTRIAL SATELLITE MEETING:
-----------------------------
       A half day industrial symposium is planned. Those companies
who are interested in presenting up-to-date results obtained on their
products in the form of 20 minute lectures are kindly requested to
contact the conference secretariat.

Registration Fees (before August 1):  Regular Participant   4000 ATS
                                      GOeCH Member          3500 ATS
                                      Student               2000 ATS

The registration fee includes the Book of Abstracts, the welcome cocktail
and buffet, the invitation to the Viennese Rathaus, a ticket for the piano
concert, coffee breaks and tram tickets.

If your are interested in a folder of the second announcement including a
registration form and the social program, please contact:

      A.Kungl
      Gesellschaft Oesterreichischer Chemiker
      AG Biophysikalische Chemie
      Nibelungengasse 11
      A-1010 Wien, Austria
      Tel.: (43) 1 587249
      FAX.: (43) 1 587966
      e-mail: msb95 at helix.mdy.univie.ac.at

|                           Hellfried Schreiber, Ph.D.                        |
|  Institute for Theoretical Chemistry  |                                     |
|  Theoretical Biochemistry Group       |   Mail:  hs at helix.mdy.univie.ac.at  |
|  Waehrigerstrasse 17                  |   Voice: +43 1 40480 - 618          |
|  A-1090 Wien, Austria, Europe         |   FAX:   +43 1 4028525              |