rntidy

Tom Schneider toms at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Jul 5 19:43:29 EST 1994

I just made a small tool that might be widely useful, and save space.  I
sometimes want to subscribe or unsubscribe to news groups quickly.  The news
reader rn makes this difficult.  Instead, I edit my ~/.newsrc file, which has
many lines that look like this:

bionet.info-theory: 1-2273

The ":" means I am subscribed to that group.  A "!" means that I am not.
Following this is a list of the groups that I have read and that the news
reader has seen.  Unfortunately this list gets extremely long and after a while
it is so long that the vi editor won't allow the lines.  Besides, it's a waste
of space.  So I wrote a unix script (rntidy) that calls a small Pascal program
(rnclean.p) which cleans up the list.  They are both available by anonymous ftp
from ftp.ncifcrf.gov in pub/delila.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology