diffs for BIOSCI/bionet Frequently Asked Questions

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Fri Jul 1 03:05:01 EST 1994

The following is the UNIX "diff" output between the latest version of
the FAQ and the previous revision, i.e. "diff biosci.FAQ biosci.FAQ.old"

While the entire BIOSCI FAQ has not been updated, the number of
sections that have changed or have been added makes the diff output
too voluminous to be useful for browsing.  We call your attention to
the following new sections in the FAQ.

39,40d28
< *  What are the restrictions on commercial activities in the
<    BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups?
49,53d36
< *  I hear that a new bionet newsgroup was created but why isn't it at
<    my site yet?
< *  A new bionet USENET group has been created at my site but there are
<    no messages in it.  However, I see that messages are being sent out to
<    the mailing list.  Why do the contents differ?

267,400d319
< What are the restrictions on commercial activities in the
< BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups?
< ---------------------------------------------------------
<
< BIOSCI is funded in part by the National Science Foundation (NSF)
< which supports the Internet in the U.S. with U.S. taxpayer dollars.
< NSF is responsible for setting Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for the the
< NSFNet backbone section of the Internet of which BIOSCI makes
< extensive use.  Because of these reasons, BIOSCI users should adhere
< to the following guidelines.
<
< Commercial activities on BIOSCI are in general prohibited except as
< noted below.  People at for-profit organizations are free to read all
< postings made to the BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups, but must ensure that
< their postings to the newsgroups do not violate our guidelines.
<
< Commercial organizations may post job openings on
< EMPLOYMENT/bionet.jobs subject to the format restrictions for that
< group.  Commercial job posting format restrictions for the
< EMPLOYMENT/bionet.jobs newsgroup are described above under the
< question "Where should I post my messages?"  Users who violate these
< format restrictions consciously risk losing their network access.
<
< BIOSCI readers without any financial connections to a company or a
< product may discuss and/or post endorsements of a commercial product.
< However, it is standard Internet practice to include in the posting a
< disclaimer of any financial interest in the product/company.  Note
< that postings to newsgroups are subject to libel laws.  BIOSCI advises
< readers to think twice before taking potshots at products that they do
< not like.
<
< BIOSCI users often post general questions about problems that might be
< solved through the use of a commercial product.  It is EXTREMELY
< IMPORTANT, however, that such general questions *not* be answered by
< people affiliated with the product or company that might stand to gain
< a sale as a result.  For example, user X may ask, "Is there a product
< that will allow me to separate protein A from protein B given the
< following properties ...?", but, if user Y works at company Z which
< sells a product that can accomplish this task, user Y does *NOT* have
< permission to respond to the question.  Responses can only be posted
< by other scientists who might have experience in solving the problem
< in question and who do not stand to gain financially by promoting the
< product in question, i.e., they are not employees, consultants, or
< connected to the company via other financial ties.  As noted above,
< postings endorsing commercial products should contain a customary
< disclaimer stating the absence of financial ties of the poster to the
< product/company.
<
< Commercial companies MAY RESPOND to a public BIOSCI newsgroup if a
< BIOSCI user asks a question directly about one of their products,
< e.g., mentions it by name.  The response should be limited to a
< factual answer of the question posed and should avoid any hint of
< advertising hype.  Comparisons with competitors' products should be
< avoided completely.
<
< Finally, as a general rule, if you are unsure about the
< appropriateness of your posting, before you post anything please send
< a copy of what you propose to post to the BIOSCI adminstrator at
< biosci-help at net.bio.net for review.
<
< BIOSCI will takes steps to terminate network access to any reader who
< willfully violates our commercial use policies.
<

550,604d468
< I hear that a new bionet newsgroup was created but why isn't it at
< my site yet?
< ------------------------------------------------------------------
<
< This could happen for a variety of reasons.  When we create a new
< USENET newsgroup, a "newgroup" message is sent out from net.bio.net to
< news administrators at USENET sites around the world.  Many sites are
< configured so that such newgroup messages are acted upon automatically
< and the group is established without human intervention.  However, due
< to the growing volume of USENET newsgroups, many sites have turned off
< automatic newgroup creation and require human intervention to create a
< new USENET group in response to a newgroup message.  If you know from
< reading BIONEWS/bionet.announce or from contacting the BIOSCI staff at
< biosci-help at net.bio.net that a new bionet newsgroup should be in
< existance, please contact your local news administrator and ask them
< if they acted on the newgroup message.  Newgroup messages can
< sometimes be simply overlooked by the news administrator and sometimes
< they may not be received if a USENET site upstream on the net from you
< had a problem and did not pass on the message.  Please let your news
< adminstrator know that a bionet "checkgroup" message is posted on the
< first of each month to bionet.announce.  Your news administrator can
< use the contents of that message to update your local list of bionet
< USENET newsgroups.
<
< Please note that all new BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups are announced on
< BIONEWS/bionet.announce as soon as they are ready for use.  If you see
< this announcement, this means that the BIOSCI staff has tested the
< group and is (1) sure that it works, and (2) knows that it has
< propagated to at least some other sites in both North America and
< Europe.  We obviously can not check for propagation to the thousands
< of sites on USENET.  Depending upon your source of USENET news, there
< may be a delay of several days before the newgroup message reaches
< your site.  The announcement of the newsgroup availability, however,
< is always sent to bionet.announce *after* the newgroup message has
< been sent and after system tests have been run.
<
<
< A new bionet USENET group has been created at my site but there are
< no messages in it.  However, I see that messages are being sent out to
< the mailing list.  Why do the contents differ?
< ----------------------------------------------------------------------
<
< If you experience the problem above, please contact your local news
< administrator and have them check with the site that sends you your
< bionet USENET news feed.  We explained in a question above that new
< USENET newsgroups are created in response to a "newgroup" message
< which is sent out to all USENET news administrators.  It is possible
< that your news administrator acted on the message to create the group,
< but that the site which sends you bionet USENET news did not.  Having
< your USENET news administrator contact the administrator at the
< upstream site can usually resolve the problem.  If you have a problem
< getting a reliable bionet USENET news feed, please contact
< biosci-help at net.bio.net.
<