CPSR Newsletters solicits suggestions for Clinton Admin.

Irene Anne Eckstrand IAE at CU.NIH.GOV
Tue Dec 22 09:20:13 EST 1992

== For Your Information ==

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1992 08:58:59 -0800 (PST)
From: booloo at framsparc.ocf.llnl.GOV (Mark Boolootian)
To: com-priv at psi.COM
Subject: CPSR Newsletters solicits suggestions for Clinton Admin.

        PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS WHEREVER YOU FEEL IT IS APPROPRIATE
               BUT ONLY WHERE YOU FEEL IT IS APPROPRIATE

       AN OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE YOUR SAY ABOUT COMPUTING IN THE FUTURE

 This is Gary Chapman, director of the Cambridge, Massachusetts, office
 of Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility.  I edit The CPSR
 Newsletter, a quarterly publication that goes to all CPSR members and
 about 400 other people, including a lot of policymakers, members of
 Congress, administration officials, etc.

 We're going to try something unusual for the next CPSR Newsletter, and
 I'm putting out a call for help.  We're going to publish a special issue
  on "What the Clinton Administration Can Do For The Computing Profession
  and the Public."  I'm sending out this message to ask people to send me
  SHORT contributions to this issue, just brief comments about what the
 new administration can do to help support computing in the United
 States, or perhaps the world.

 Here are a few basic guidelines for these submissions:

 1.  SHORT MEANS SHORT -- In order to publish as many of these as we can,
  we need to keep each contribution to about 100-150 words, max, one or
 two paragraphs.  In fact, anything longer will probably be eliminated
 out of fairness to others.

 2.  YOU MUST IDENTIFY YOURSELF -- Again, briefly, with just your name
 and one line that says something about you, such as Joe Blow or Sally
 Smith, Programmer, BillyBob Corporation, or Centerville, Ohio, or
 something like that, whatever you prefer.

 3.  ADDRESS ISSUES OF PUBLIC POLICY -- In order to make these
 contributions relevant to the Clinton administration, they should
 concern issues about which government can or should do something, or
 stop doing, whatever.  These include major issues such as privacy,
 access to information, computer networks like the Internet or NREN, R&D
 priorities, equitable access to computers, intellectual property,
 defense policy, risks to the public, etc.  We're not really interested
 in contributions that are self-serving, parochial, excessively arcane or
  trivial, belligerently and unconstructively critical, and so on.  We
 will favor messages that discuss the intersection of computing and major
  issues of concern to the public at large.

 4.  PLEASE INCLUDE A WORKABLE E-MAIL ADDRESS -- In case I have to get
 back to you about the text.  We won't publish e-mail addresses, I
 promise.

 5.  GET ALL CONTRIBUTIONS TO ME BY JANUARY 15, 1993.  My e-mail address
 is chapman at silver.lcs.mit.edu.

 This is not limited to people in the United States, although overseas
 contributors will have to make a case for what the Clinton
 administration should do to help international computing -- the focus
 will be on U.S. government  policy.

 We're going to try and get this issue into the hands of the key players
 on computing and high tech policy in the new administration.  For the
 most part we already know who those people are, and we're talking to
 them about the issues that CPSR is working on.  This newsletter will
 give them a good impression, we hope, of the concerns of the computing
 profession and people who use computer networks.  Consider this an
 opportunity for a kind of "hard copy" town hall.

 Thanks for your help!  Get those messages coming!

 Gary Chapman
 Coordinator
 The 21st Century Project
 Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
 Cambridge, MA
 chapman at silver.lcs.mit.edu

--
Mark Boolootian         booloo at llnl.gov         +1 510 423 1948
Disclaimer:  My fingers type for me alone.