IUBio Archive seeks contributions

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Dec 7 21:38:04 EST 1992

         IUBIO ARCHIVE SEEKS CONTRIBUTIONS
               for a new disk drive

Since 1989, the IUBio Archive has been providing the
scientific community with a useful collection of biology
software, data and information services.   This archive
has been sponsored by Don Gilbert and Indiana University
sources, and recently by the Bloomington Drosophila stock
center thru an NSF Resources grant.

During 1992, the archive thru FTP and Gopher has been
serving out data to the biology scientific community at
high rates.   Roughly 2500 files per week are FTP'ed from
the archive, and roughly 4500 gopher transactions per week
are recorded (file transfers and queries).

Also during that time, I have experimented with new
information services here, including Internet Gopher and
WAIS service additions and modifications for biology
databanks.

We are approaching capacity on the current 1 Gigabyte disk
that serves this archive.  I am having to spend more time
throwing out or compressing data than I like.  So far, I've
preserved all the good stuff in this archive.  But we need
a new disk to expand services as I would like to, and to
provide me with a blank canvas to draw more bioinformatics
experiments on.

Since the current hardware sponsor, the Drosophila stock
center via NSF, is using only a small portion of this disk
but needs more, I would like to ask if other sponsor(s)
might contribute to this resource.  Of course a large,
popular use is the Gopher and WAIS searches of up-to-date
GenBank and other molecular databanks, along with the
popular software.

Those of you who may know of an agency willing to
contribute $2,000 to $2,700 for a new Gigabyte sized hard
drive, please let me know.  I have in mind either a Maxtor
1.7GB disk for $2,000 from APS, or a Sun label 1.3GB disk,
for around $2,700, which would be less hassle for me to
install.

Those of you who may want to contribute in part to this disk
drive fund, please also let me know.

Send word of contributions to
                               Archive at Bio.Indiana.Edu

I will look first for a single agency contribution.  If
that fails, I will contact those of you who would like to
pledge something towards expanded services at this archive.

				-- Don Gilbert,  7 Dec 92

Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu