"Sorry, CIC aids won't work for YOU." ?

M mitch_wny at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 03:37:13 EST 2002

Hi.  I have a hearing problem and I hope you can help me
with some frustrating information I'm getting from the
audiologist.  Let me emphasize that I'm sure I have a
fine audiologist.  Still, anyone can miss new technology
now and then.  (For example, I do think I'm a darn good
network engineer, but I'd be the first to admit that now
and then I stumble across new technologies I wish I'd
heard about earlier.)

I have significant unilateral (left side) high frequency
hearing loss.  My right side hearing is fine, with just
a 5db loss at 6000hz - 8000hz.  But my left side hearing
drops like a stone starting at about 1700hz, with 35db
loss at 2000hz and 80-85db loss from 3000hz - up.

The problem this unilateral hearing loss is causing me
is substantial difficulty understanding what people are
saying with any background noise, sometimes even without
much background noise (seems to depens on the voice of
the speaker and what he or she is saying).

I really would like a completely-in-the-canal hearing
aid, but the audiologist has said they don't work well
for people with HF hearing loss because of the way they
block the canal.  I'm being told I'll have to settle for
a behind-the-ear (BTE) style aid.

Is this up-to-date information?  *Thank you very much*
for relevant information.  I guess I have some wishful
thinking going that the newest CIC digital hearing aids
do a great job with HF hearing loss, but I'll just have
to accept the truth, whatever that may be.